a little musing, a little philosophizing, a little ranting, a whole lot of nothing, really.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I get off the bus early today, so I can walk in the much needed sunshine. I come across a lemonade stand, not quite hot enough for lemonade but I'm a sucker for kids, particularly business-oriented ones. I give them fifty cents for a "medium," which is a Starbucks cup 3/4 full of a brownish liquid with one ice cube. I take it home, with no intention of drinking it. I hear the kids talking about advertising as I leave. I can't decide if it's beautiful or tragic.

As I approach my big brown building I realize I've lived here for two years. I know four neighbours, only two well enough to talk to. I'm moving soon. I must end this, it can't be good for your well-being to be surrounded by people yet never in actual contact with them. I still see people I've never seen before.

I sit on the front step for half an hour, knowing that when I go inside I'll have to study for an exam I could care less about. I see four buses go north and three buses go south. I see some bikers in spandex suits, one on a cell phone. A woman is washing something on her balcony across the street and yelling into her apartment. I see the water splash a passerby. In the half hour I sit, only one person comes up to the building, she doesn't make eye contact with me, even when I smile in what I hope is a nice way. I just wanted to say hi.

I get up to go in, can't delay studying any longer. A cute little old man is exiting, holding the door for me. He asks have I forgotten my keys? No, just enjoying the sun, it's beautiful out. My new mission? Befriend ONE person in this building before I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home