a little musing, a little philosophizing, a little ranting, a whole lot of nothing, really.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

"I'm so funny"

So, our department started the annual 24 Hour Theatre Challenge this year. This is when you have from seven at night one day until seven at night the next to write and produce a play. So I was a writer, I spent the night in school, stopping for dance, South Park, gossip, bathroom, pizza and more dance breaks. I finished in the wee hours of the morning (and you can see the play get crazier and crazier as I got more and more tired), and went home. I returned at 7 to see what was done.

My best friend here was given (with some persuasion on both our parts) my play. I can't really say what it's about without making you read it, essentially it's a theatre artist and a financial planner telling the other that their job is meaningless. They're both pretty pretentious. I wrote it in the most pretentious way possible as well, it was gender neutral, the characters were 1 and 2, they used technical language, there was no definite setting, and each thought the other couldn't understand their work. Of course, it ended in an interpretive dance to Philip Glass. I never know if my writing is funny or not, but who doesn't love interpretive dances about math?

Anyway, I went, and it was funny. Cara's random cast consisted of a short little Colombian man who could hardly speak english (the PERFECT pretentious director), and a tall, thin 28 year old as the planner. She took some awesome liberties, naming him after our banker friend (and my new roommate), the music. I loved it. They added some great lines, including "I'm so funny" from the little theatre man every time he almost broke character because the audience was laughing. And the audience was. Laughing. I wrote something funny. Yeeessssssss.

Anyway. It was a great experience. If your school does it, do it. If it doesn't, start it. Awesome project.

Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home